Paella is one of my favourite dishes to make and it is carb heavy, but still healthy. Paella feels like a treat to me as it’s something I only really cook in the Summer and it makes me think summer vibes.
I’m always feeding this to my family in the Summer because it makes me feel exotic. You will love it and so will everyone else, but there is plenty here for leftovers.
1 Red pepper
2 chicken breasts
2 tsp Smoked Parprika
1 tsp Tumeric
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dry Thyme
1/2 can 400g chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
750ml boiling chicken stock
Asparagus tips (optional)
*Note I don’t put measurements for some items because it’s up to you whether you use more or less. Everyone has different tastes.
- Once you have cut your chicken, onion, garlic and pepper up add them to a large pan or wok and gently saute for a few minutes.
- Add the dry spices and mix well.
- Add the rice and mix into the ingredients already in the wok. Ensure that the wok is on a low temperature at this point to stop the rice burning to the bottom of the pan
- Add the chicken stock, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes, asparagus tips and prawns mixing well. Bring the wok/pan to boil and then simmer for 15 minutes
KEEP STIRRING OTHERWISE THE RICE WILL STICK
- After 15 minutes, the rice will have absorbed the liquid. Add the point add the chorizo, frozen peas and salt/pepper. Keep stirring on heat for a few more minutes.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice (adjust to taste) and serve!
This dish is so versatile, you can add more veg or fish if you want or less if needed. I love scallops in a paella but I’m a poor student at the moment.
Hope this recipe finds you well,